Friday , May 20 2022

Woman choked to death on chewing gum after falling asleep with it in her mouth

A woman choked to death after falling asleep while chewing gum, an inquest heard this week.
Sulwen Jones, 55, chewed gum regularly which helped deal with having a dry mouth from medication.

But she was found dead at her home in Caernarfon, North Wales

Her sister found her unconscious on October 5, 2021, and paramedics were not able to revive her.

The inquest this week was told Sulwen took medication for multiple sclerosis, which she was diagnosed with exactly 20 years before she died.

Sulwen regularly chewed gum for her dry throat, the hearing heard.

Paramedics told the hearing in Caernarfon they believed she had fallen asleep with a piece in her mouth and choked.

A post mortem later found traces of chewing gum throughout her body including her airways.

Her medical cause of death was given as aspiration of chewing gum due to multiple sclerosis.

Assistant Coroner Sarah Riley returned a conclusion of accidental death.

She said: “I agree with pathologists in respect of the medical cause of death.

“Miss Jones’s death will be ruled as an accident due to the unexpected consequence of chewing gum.”

(Metro UK)

READ ALSO  Apprentice commits suicide three months after boyfriend did same

About Chinenye Nwabueze

Nwabueze is a communication researcher with several years of lecturing experience in Nigerian universities.

Check Also

Watch: People Stop Car With Bare Hands For Woman in Florida Having Medical Episode

This shows that many good people are out there in the society ready to save …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: