A fire outbreak commence at about 8.30 a.m., subsided around 11.44am, as students and staffers made futile attempts to arrest the fire.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports that no one died by the fire that destroyed everything in the hostel.
Yusuf Ade, a security man, told NAN, “Many students had left for lectures when the fire started; no one was around to remove anything from the burning hostel.”
NAN reports that the fire service personnel arrived the scene around 11.20, as at that time the hostel was completely burnt.
Mr Dauda Gyemang, the Rector of the institution, while attributing the accident to gas explosion, gave thanks to God that no one died, “We thank God that no life was lost in the inferno, but nothing was rescued.”
Gyemang, described the incident as ‘shocking’’ and “a great loss” to the institution.
He said, “We shall move the students to another place because the building is completely burnt down. It is very devastating.”
The Rector said it was against the regulations of the school to keep cooking gas in the hostel, so he wonders why students kept it in the hostel.
“The problem here is that students do not adhere to the institution’s regulations; they are not supposed to be cooking in the hostels.”
He urged the students to stay calm and that the burnt hostel would be rehabilitated “in no distant time.”
The hostel’s Representative, Miss Christiana Azi, described the incident as ‘shocking’ and ‘devastating’ saying also that students lost everything to the fire “including original copies of their credentials, clothes, food stuffs and other valuables”.
She also said the incident will be very difficult to recover from it,”