A black plastic lighter, measuring 3.6 inches long, was removed from a man’s stomach in China
Doctors in south-west China have successfully removed a lighter from a man’s stomach he swallowed 20 years ago by mistake.
According to Dailymail, doctors removed the plastic object inside the stomach of the 40-year-old man last week after he had gone to the hospital.
The patient decided to seek medical attention after suffering from acute stomachache and finding blood in his faeces. According to Jiangxi Network Television, the unnamed patient went to Dujiangyan People’s Hospital in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, on April 13 by himself.
Dr Qiu Changwei of the department of gastroenterology, inserted a small flexible endoscope along the man’s oesophagus and found a black rectangular object located in the stomach.
‘It measures about nine centimetres long (3.6 inches) and it’s shiny,’ said Dr Qiu.
He guessed the object could be a lighter.
Dr Qiu also found the man had open sores and bleeding in the stomach.
The patient told the medical staff that he might have accidentally swallowed a lighter in 1998, 20 years ago.
Dr Qiu used a retractable latex-rubber condom-type hood to cover the lighter and then secured it by putting two rings around the hood.
‘Then we pull the lighter out slowly along the oesophagus,’ he told Jiangxi Network Television.
The retrieval procedure took about 10 minutes. The man is now recovering from the operation.