We continue our Teeth Beat series to ensure you have strong and healthy teeth. If you do not want to be qualified to act a Zombie movie without any make-up on your teeth, please you should always read this column.
Today we look at the benefits of using a kind of chewing stick called Miswak. This is a universally accepted chewing stick noted for working better than the conventional toothpaste and tooth brush in keeping the teeth healthy. We are not talking about just any stick you put in your mouth and call it chewing stick. No! Research evidence shows that the Miswak is an exceptional stick for keeping the teeth healthy. Read this to find out why.
Miswak (Chewing Stick): Top 10 Health and Medicinal Benefits for Teeth Cleaning
What is Miswak?
Miswak is a teeth cleaning chewing stick from the tree of Salvadora persica. The stick, which is available everywhere, has antibacterial properties and can be used instead of toothbrush and toothpaste. It prevents dental plaque formations and associated with multiple medicinal benefits and uses. The prophet Muhammad (SAW) had often advocated the use of miswak. The World Health Organization (WHO) has also suggested the use of miswak in a report on oral hygiene published in 1986 and 2000.
10 best benefits of Miswak
This natural twig is known for both health benefits and medicinal uses. Some of the important benefits of this Salvadora persica tree are:
- Prevents plaque and gingivitis: Brushing the teeth with this natural twig helps to prevent bacterial activities in the teeth thus save your teeth from plaque formation and gingivitis. The bark contains antibiotic which prevents the growth of bacteria.
- Anti-addiction: Dr. Rami Mohammed Diabi has shown how miswak is beneficial in discouraging of addiction.
- Gums strengthening: It not only cleanses your teeth but also helps in strengthening of gums.
- Bad breath: Regular use of the miswak removes bad breath and odor from mouth.
- Nutrition facts: Miswak contains nutrients like fluorine, silicon, vitamin C, salvadorine and trimethylamine.
- Strengthens teeth enamel: The twig contains potassium, sodium, chloride, sodium bicarbonate and calcium oxide. These minerals help to strengthen the tooth enamel.
- Tooth whitening: It helps to reduce stains from tea, coffee, food particles, tobacco products, betel, etc.
- Anti-cariogenic: Cleaning the teeth with this having anti-cariogenic effect.
- Prevents tooth decay: It save your teeth from decaying as the natural brush cleanse your teeth and removes the dirt and germs.
- Toothache: Since, it kills the germs and bacteria thus save your teeth from cavities and gingivitis thus good to relieve fro toothache
Common name of Miswak
Miswak is also known by other names such as miswaak, siwak and sewak. It is known as arak in Arabic, Koyoji in Japanese, qesam in Hebrew, qisa in Aramaic and mastic in Latin. Its synonyms in Arab are miswaak, misswak, miswaki, meswak, mswaki, sewak, siwak, and siwaki.