Friday , May 27 2022

Onitsha, Nnewi, others to enjoy 16hrs steady electricity daily -Obiano

Written By Kingsley Ezekwelu

Gov Willie Obiano of Anamba State has signed has signed a N9.4 billion Memorandum of Understanding(MoU)with Carbon Africa Limited for the development of a waste-to-energy project in Anambra State.

The signing ceremony which held at Governor’s Lodge, in Awka provided for the prescribed project development timeframe of 12-15 months, to see the construction of a bio-methonisation waste treatment plant on a 4-hectare piece of land at Ozubulu, in Ekwusigo council area, and was expected to generate green energy of 24 megawatts of electricity.

The investor is to provide the sum of N8.46 billion naira representing 90 percent of the equity while the State government would contribute the remaining 10 percent totaling N940 million.

In his remarks, Gov Obiano said the State government was enthusiastic about the project because it promises provision of solution to the environmental and health challenges posed by congested dumpsites across the state.

According to him, what the State is doing presently is waste movement and with the advent of the investor, it is hoped that effective waste management in line with global best practices, would commence in the state.

He expressed happiness that the project will complement his administration’s efforts at boosting power supply in the state, urged the investor to hit the ground running at once to ensure that the project is realized on schedule.

Earlier in his remarks, the  Chairman of ANSIPPA and traditional ruler of Umuoji, Igwe Cyril Enweze explained that the project would generate 250 direct and 1500 indirect jobs, give impetus to government’s health drive, boost power supply to industries and enhance the state’s internally generated revenue(IGR) capacity.

READ ALSO  Woman Lands In Serious Trouble After Allegedly Beating Police Officer

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the investing company, Miss Chizoba Adigwe said they have reliable financial partners for the project from the French and German governments and assured that what they are bringing to Anambra is laudable project that was realizable.

Chairman of the State Power Committee, Mr Chike Okonkwo explained that the project was structured in a way that the investors would generate power that would be Offtaken by industries in the Nnewi, Onitsha regions and beyond.

In a vote of thanks, the Managing Director of the State Waste Management Agency, ASWAMA, Mr Phil Chinwuba said they will work closely with the investor to facilitate the movement and management of waste when the project fully comes on stream.

About Chinenye Nwabueze

Nwabueze is a communication researcher with several years of lecturing experience in Nigerian universities.

Check Also

Police find missing Tanzanian politician relaxing in woman’s house months after he disappeared (Viral Video)

Police in Tanzanian have found a politician who has been missing for a while as …

One comment

  1. Abeg we go enjoy am while it last, all natural campaign measures… may the best man designed by God win

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: