As part of efforts to sanitize higher institutional education sector in Nigeria, the National Universities Commission (NUC) has released a list of 58 illegal universities in the country.
The commission said the universities are yet to be licensed by the federal government and have been shut down for violating the national minimum standard for education.
A Monday bulletin from the office of the Executive Secretary on NUC, dated May 14, listed all the illegal universities across the country.
The universities are:
- University of Accountancy and Management Studies, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Christians of Charity American University of Science and Technology, Nkpor, Anambra State or any of its other campuses
- University of Industry, Yaba, Lagos or any of its other campuses
- University of Applied Sciences and Management, Port Novo, Republic of Benin or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Blacksmith University, Akwa or any of its other campuses
- Volta University College, HO, Volta Region, Ghana or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Royal University, Izhia, PO BOX 800, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State or any of its other campuses
- Atlanta University, Anyigba, Kogi state or any of its other campuses
- United Christian University, Macotis campus, Imo State or any of its other campuses
- United Nigeria University College, Okija Anambra State or any of its other campuses.
- Samuel Ahmadu University, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its other campuses
- UNESCO University, Ndoni, Rivers State or any of its other campuses
- Saint Augustine’s University of Technology, Jos, Pleateu State or any of its other campuses
- The International University, Missouri USA, Kano and Lagos studies centres or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Collumbus University, UK, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Tiu International University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pebbles University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
- London External Studies, UK, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pilgrims University operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Lobi Business School, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- West African Christian University operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Bolta University College, Aba or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- JBC Seminary Inc. (Wukari Jubilee University) Kaduna illegal campus
- Western University, Esie Kwara State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- St. Andrews University College, Abuja or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- EC-Council USA, Ikeja Lagos Study Centre
- Atlas University, Ikot Udoso Uko, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Concept College/Universities (London) Ilorin or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Halifax Gateway University, Ikeja or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- Kingdom of Christ University, Abuja or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Acada University, Akinlalu Oyo state or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Filfom University, Mbaise, Imo State or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Houdegbe North American University campuses in Nigeria
- Atlantic Intercontinental University, Okija Anambra State
- Open International University, Akure
- Middle Belt University (North Central University) Otukpo
- Lead Way University, Ugheli, Delta State
- Metro University, Dutse/Bwari Abuja
- Southend University, Ngwuro Egeru (Afam) Ndoki, Rivers State
- Olympic University, Nsukka, Enugu State
- Federal College of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Abuja
- Temple University, Abuja
- Irish University Business School, London, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- National University of Technology, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- University of Accountancy and Management Studies, Mowe, Lagos – Ibadan Expressway and its annex at 41, Ikorodu road, Lagos.
- University of Education, Wenneba Ghana operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Cape Coast University, Ghana operating in Nigeria
- African University Cooperative Development (AUCD) Cotonou, Benin Republic operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pacific Western University, Denver Colorado, Oweri study centre
- Evangel University of America and Chudick Management Academic, Lagos
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology (Gboko campus)
- Career Light Resources Centre, Jos
- University of West Africa, Kwali Abuja, FCT
- Coastal University, Iba Oku, Akwa Ibom State
- Kaduna Business School, Kaduna
- Royal University of Theology, Minna, Niger State
- West African Union University, in collaboration with International Professional College of Administration, Science and Technology, Nigeria operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Gospel Missionary Foundation (GMF), Theological University, 165 Isolo road, Cele bus stop, Egbe Ikotun, Lagos
The commission also said eight universities are currently undergoing investigation for illegally running degree programs.
The eight universities are:
1) National Universities of Nigeria, Keffi , Nassarawa State.
2) North Central University, Otukpo, Benue state.
3) Christ Alive Christian Seminary and University.
4) Richmond Open University, Arochukwu, Abia state.
5) West Coast University, Umuahia.
6) Saint Clements University, Iyin Ekiti, Ekiti state.
7) Volta University College, Aba, Abia state.
8) Illegal Satellite Campuses of Ambrose Alli University.
“For the avoidance of doubt, anybody who patronises or obtains any certificate from any of these illegal institutions does so at his or her own risk,” the publication reads.
According to the publication, certificates obtained from these sources will not be recognised for the purposes of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), employment and further studies.
The commission said the relevant law enforcement agencies have been informed for necessary action.
Meanwhile, the NUC Director of information and Public relation, Ibrahim Yakasai, in a telephone conversation, told PREMIUM TIMES that the commission has not relented in its effort to shut every illegal institution in the country
According to Mr Yakasai, “we continued publishing the lists so that the illegal universities don’t resurface. If we stop publishing their names, they could move to other part of the country and start operating because at some point, they were moving.
“We have been producing the editorial for so many years. We update it as we get information across the country that some institutions are operating illegally. We go there and once they know we are coming, they run away,” Mr Yakasai said.
PREMIUM TIMES reported how the NUC confirmed that a senator, Foster Ogola’sPhd certificate is invalid; as the institution he attended is among the illegal universities.
An investigation revealed that the senator, currently representing Bayelsa West senatorial district, has fake credentials from an unaccredited university in Nigeria named GMF Christian university.
The National Universities Commission of Nigeria is a government agency promoting quality higher education in Nigeria.
The commission is saddled with the responsibility of granting approval for all academic programs run in Nigerian universities and granting approval for the establishment of all higher educational institutions offering degree programs.
(Source: Premium Times)