The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has blacklisted 48 Computer-Based Test centres over their involvement in extortion and organised examination malpractices during the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that JAMB’s Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, made this known in on Wednesday in Abuja at a news conference at the end of an enlarged meeting with external examiners and other stakeholders in the conduct of the 2017 UTME.
Oloyede, who also announced the cancellation of the results of 59,698 candidates who sat for the examination, said another 24 CBT centres had been suspended for one year for failing to live up to expectations.
“The (24 CBT) centres will not participate in the 2018 UTME, but they can be reconsidered for 2019 and above.
“The delisting of 48 centres from participating in the board’s examination in future is as a result of serious technical deficiencies, extortion, organised examination malpractices and other damaging infractions.”
He said that JAMB had fixed July 1, 2017 as the date for supplementary examination for candidates who registered late for this year’s UTME.
According to the JAMB Registrar, those who would take part in the rescheduled exam are those with the following issues: technical and log out issues, late registration, incomplete results and candidates who lost examination sessions due to malfunctioning of servers at the affected centre, candidates whose results were cancelled (that is, the cancellation was because the candidates sat for the exam in centres with mass malpractices but they are deemed innocent, biometric non-verification machine related issues).