Real Madrid strong man, Cristiano Ronaldo’s acrobatic volley against Juventus in 2017/18 Champions League quarterfinals has won him the goal of the season for that competition.
The UEFA’s Technical Observers said it was better than teammate Gareth Bale’s overhead kick in Saturday’s final against Liverpool.
Ronaldo scored a remarkable bicycle kick goal against Juventus in the quarter-finals of the competition, but Bale scored a similar strike in the final, Saturday’s 3-1 victory in Kiev.
The six-man committee of UEFA Technical Observers who decided the rankings felt Ronaldo’s goal was better, describing it as “An extraordinary display of technique and athleticism.”
Others on the list were Roma’s Edin Dzeko’s volley against Chelsea [No. 5], Shakhtar Donetsk’s Fred’s free kick against Roma [No. 7], Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne’s belter versus Shakhtar [No. 8] and Lorenzo Insigne’s long-ranger also against Shakhtar [No. 9].
The panel of UEFA’s Technical Observers was made up of former United coach David Moyes, former Inter Milan defender Christian Chivu and current Latvia manager Mixu Paatelainen.
UEFA Top 10 Goals this season:
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) vs Juventus – quarter-final first leg
- Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) vs Liverpool – final
- Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus) vs Tottenham – last 16 first leg
- Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) vs Roma – group stage
- Edin Dzeko (Roma) vs Chelsea – group stage
- Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) vs Borussia Dortmund – group stage
- Fred (Shakhtar Donetsk) vs Roma – last 16 first leg
- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City) vs Shakhtar Donetsk – group stage
- Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli) vs Shakhtar Donetsk – group stage
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) vs Borussia Dortmund – group stage