Tragedy struck in the Volta Region of Ghana after a 17-year-old boy who sells coconut died and two other persons hospitalized after they were struck by lightning.
The deceased, Emmanuel Doli, was a former student of the Sokode Senior High Technical School. He was selling coconut at Bankoe, a suburb of Ho in the Volta Region, Ghana, when he was struck by lightning.
There were two other victims struck by lightning with the deceased but they were lucky to survive as they were rushed to the hospital by the National Ambulance Service.
Emmanuel’s lifeless body was abandoned at the scene “over fears of the gods”.
Some people were of the opinion that the coconut he was selling might have been ‘stolen, which is why he was struck.’
This perception was dismissed by the deceased’s brother, Selasi Kwao who confirmed the coconut was plucked from their compound.
He said: “The coconut was plucked at our family house at Sokode Bagble. The coconut tree belongs to our uncle, and he was aware we were plucking some of the coconuts.
“I personally climbed the tree to pluck it. I plucked them from 6 trees.
“My brother who is dead now did not climb the tree. I even paid some people who helped in climbing with me. I only sent him to come and sell them.”
Mother of the boy, Rejoice Kwao, who couldn’t control her tears, narrated how she heard about his son’s demise.
She said: “They have been selling coconut for some time now. But today I was at work when I received a call about lightning striking my son. I came here only to see the boy on the floor lifeless. My brother takes care of coconuts for people, so they pluck from him also. But I don’t know what happened here today. There has never been a problem in his selling. I’m still shocked and can’t understand this happening.”