MassMediaNG

Information Hub of the Nigerian Mass Media

Unbelievable! Man Swallows His 20-Year-Old Toothbrush By Mistake, But Doctors Successfully Remove It From His Stomach

A health worker attends to David Charo after doctors at the Coast General Hospital removed a toothbrush he swallowed, Friday, April 6, 2018. /CALVIN ONSARIGO
A health worker attends to David Charo after doctors at the Coast General Hospital removed a toothbrush he swallowed, Friday, April 6, 2018. /CALVIN ONSARIGO

Doctors at the Coast General Hospital on Friday successfully removed a toothbrush which was accidentally swallowed by a middle-aged man from Kilifi county.

The man, David Charo, was admitted to the Coast general hospital after he swallowed a toothbrush in unclear circumstances on Sunday.
Charo was brushing his teeth when the toothbrush slipped down his throat in Ganze area. Some residents linked the accident to demons.
 The team of Doctors who refused the toothbrush from his stomach was led by Dr Ramadhan Omar. The team conducted an endoscopic procedure through which they retrieved the toothbrush that has been stuck in David Charo’s stomach since Sunday.

Endoscopy refers to the removal of ingested objects from the esophagus, stomach and duodenum by endoscopic techniques. It does not involve surgery.

They opted for endoscopic technology since the toothbrush was rigid and could not pass fixed parts of the duodenum.

The patient was earlier advised by his doctors to avoid eating solid food but instead drink fluids to avoid pushing the toothbrush further.

Doctors declared Charo stable condition and will be discharged after recovery.

The patient, in an interview with journalists, expressed sign of relief saying  is ready to be go home after successful operation.

The incident occurred in Paziani village, Ganze in Kilifi county.

Charo, a father of two, said he tried to pull out the toothbrush before it slid down into his throat with no success.

Doctor Abi Mwachi at Coast general hospital said the cases are normal.

He said 40 cases of swallowed toothbrushes have been reported worldwide. The youngest patient being a 18 year old girl.

READ ALSO  News! Onyeka Onwenu Reportedly Sues IROKING N205 million

“Most of the patients are described are usually perfectly normal. People should to stop casting aspersion,” said Mwachi

The incident sparked fears that someone cast an evil spell upon Charo.

It could be recalled that David Charo was admitted to the Coast general hospital after he swallowed a toothbrush in unclear circumstances on Sunday.
Charo was brushing his teeth when the toothbrush slipped down his throat in Ganze area.
Speaking to The Star on Thursday, Charo termed the incident as a mere accident.
“I have used the toothbrush for the last 20 years. It unfortunate that it slipped from my hands on Sunday. But am in good condition,” Charo said.
Some residents linked the accident to demons.
The medical report showed that the brush is stuck in his lower abdomen.

Source:

the-star.co.ke

The Author

Chinenye Nwabueze

He is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mass Communication, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, COOU, (formerly Anambra State University), Igbariam Campus.

1 Comment

Add a Comment
  1. Ikegbunam Peter Chierike

    How come a toothbrush lasting for such a long time? The toothbrush is no more ordinary and the man too, the man is extraordinary too to had had the strength to swallow that brush.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MassMediaNG © 2018
%d bloggers like this: